Though we don’t celebrate it here in the UK, what better day to reflect on what we’re thankful for than Thanksgiving? I used to write a gratitude list every night before I went to bed and it gave me such a sense of calm before drifting off. Lately though, my mind seems to be running 100 mph with Mexico, Christmas and so many upcoming things to prepare for. I haven’t been very good at slowing down, so today seemed like a good day to do just that and do some reflecting.
I have my reservations when writing posts like this. Not only are they incredibly intimate but there seems to be a real thing about being open and honest and talking about happiness. Like a little slice of embarrassment and vulnerability. I think we’re so much more compelled to talk about the negative things – you’re more likely to get in to work and moan about the one bad thing that happened in your morning than to reflect on all the things that made you smile.
And then there’s the thought if I’m talking about all the good things in my life, will people think I’m bragging? Will I seem like the positivity fairy and annoy people? But I truly think that we should be celebrating all the good things in our lives – often! Why shouldn’t we? It lifts us up and makes us feel fuzzy and warm, which is never a bad thing!
So in the spirit of doing more positive, happy thinking, here’s 10 things I’m intensely grateful for right now:
1. Yeah…I’m gonna do it…I’m gonna start with a good bit of romance. Shoot me for being a soppy git but come on, could I write a list on gratitude and not thank my parter in crime? Tis the season for jolliness and love and all that. For keeping me sane, for looking after me, for cooking top notch nosh every evening, for putting up with my grumpiness, for not making me feel silly when I bawl at animal documentaries, for loving Christmas as much as I do and for making me belly laugh every day. If you were a penguin, I’d chose you & trust you with warming the egg on your little penguin foot ledge. (We’ve been watching Dynasties…obvs) <3
2. For my close family who have always made me feel so supported and so loved exactly as I am. My mum and Si who take my car to be fixed when I’m at work, help out with the ironing and cutting the grass…Nan for taking up my trousers and helping me out when I’ve skinted myself (she knows I’ll buy her a sports car, one day!)… Grandad for staying up when he knows I’m going out drinking and FaceTimes me on the train home so I don’t fall asleep! Not to mention Natalie who has treated me as a daughter since I was 7 years old and makes sure my prosecco glass is always full 😉 and for my brother Alfie who makes me feel like the best sister in the world even if I could be better. I am forever grateful for you all. (And that’s just a teeny portion of the things they do for me!)
3. Our house. There’s not a day I don’t feel extreme joy at having a roof over our head and a gorgeous one at that! Every day I see homeless people and my heart aches knowing how cold they must be. How can you sleep on a bit of cardboard on the concrete in this weather? How do you sleep at all out in the open – not feeling safe? To just have a home is such a wonderful thing. I love that when I come home my body relaxes instantly at being back in my happy place. And I’m so excited to decorate next year!
4. Stan!!!! Honestly, I can’t tell you how much having a pet has changed me. We moved Stan in last Christmas (he lived with Jack’s family before) and he’s my first real pet. I had a cat before but she was a rescue and super cold – she never wanted cuddles and we never really bonded. It’s the most amazing thing in the world having a little furry cute ball who wants to snuggle with you and love you!!! I am already dreading leaving him when we go on holiday…
5. My job. I spent the first few months of this year in a job I hated – unappreciated, unhappy and working every hour under the sun. To go from that extreme to this – a calm, happy, fair environment doing something I love…I’m hugely grateful. I moan about the commute more than I should but it’s 100% worth it when you don’t dread going to work every morning!
6. My friends. They say as you get older you learn who your true friends are and this year has been a real eye-opener for me in regards to the kind of friend I am, the kind of friend I want to be and the kind of friends I need around me. I am so lucky to have a few solid friends who truly light up my soul and make me feel so much contentment when we’re together!
7. I am grateful for the numerous exciting things coming up that we have to look forward to – the Christmas market this weekend, Mexico (!!!!!!!!), Christmas festivities, New Year…the next month is going to be amazing!
8. My body. I have spent years being a total bitch to my body. Forcing it on diets, moaning about it, depriving it of what it wants and living in a state of dissatisfaction. This year though, I’ve found a new peace with my body. I’ve ditched dieting and dived headfirst in to intuitive eating, which is amazing by the way. I’ve found a new love for exercise and building strength. I’ve gotten to a place where I look in the mirror and instead of doing a mental check-list of everything that’s wrong with my body, I give it a little mental hug. I am so grateful for the gift of no longer being at war with myself – not to mention all the amazing things my body allows me to do every day!
9. Music – at the moment more specifically, Christmas music!!!!! Not only for always picking me up but for drowning out all of the coughing, sniffing and sneezing currently filling up my train journeys…
10. YOU! Because if you’re reading this you’ve read my whole blog post and that is just fabbuuuloousss. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share in my experience. So much love for you xxxx
What are you thankful for today?
Love, Siân x
Thanks for the cute Christmas divider Designed by Freepik